From: "Dustin C. Hatch" <admiralnemo@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Gentoo crashing?
Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 05:27:39
1 I have been having that problem for quite some time now. It was really
2 bad when I upgraded to 2.6.21. I downgraded back to 2.6.20-r4 and I
3 haven't had near the problems. I am not sure what it is, but you aren't
4 the only one with that problem.
5
6 Peter Davoust wrote:
7 > Ok, I just conquered my gdm issues in a previous thread, and now I'm
8 > finding that gentoo is crashing on me! Twice so far, gentoo has
9 > crashed at fairly inappropriate times. I've used gentoo before, and
10 > not once has it crashed meaninglessly. First, I think I was listing a
11 > directory, and it totally froze, and then the second time I was
12 > unzipping a bzipped archive of the latest kernel sources and it came
13 > to a dead halt. I had to hard reboot the machine, it wasn't fun. I'm
14 > starting to get worried, especially since if it can't handle a little
15 > tar.bz2 file, then it certainly can't emerge anything. I'm sure you'll
16 > be wanting some logs, and I'll get them to you next time I boot
17 > gentoo. I've got 2 gig of RAM, and a dual core processor, so those
18 > aren't the problem, and my hard drive has plenty of free space
19 > (talking gigs here), so that's not it either. It sounds like it's
20 > something really obvious that I'm overlooking, but I don't understand
21 > how it could just stop. Even the normal clicking associated with the
22 > processor "thinking" just halts. Isn't that weird?
23 >
24 > -Peter
27 Dustin C. Hatch
28 http://www.dchweb.com