From: Peter Davoust <worldgnat@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Gentoo crashing?
Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 05:17:15
1 Ok, I just conquered my gdm issues in a previous thread, and now I'm finding
2 that gentoo is crashing on me! Twice so far, gentoo has crashed at fairly
3 inappropriate times. I've used gentoo before, and not once has it crashed
4 meaninglessly. First, I think I was listing a directory, and it totally
5 froze, and then the second time I was unzipping a bzipped archive of the
6 latest kernel sources and it came to a dead halt. I had to hard reboot the
7 machine, it wasn't fun. I'm starting to get worried, especially since if it
8 can't handle a little tar.bz2 file, then it certainly can't emerge anything.
9 I'm sure you'll be wanting some logs, and I'll get them to you next time I
10 boot gentoo. I've got 2 gig of RAM, and a dual core processor, so those
11 aren't the problem, and my hard drive has plenty of free space (talking gigs
12 here), so that's not it either. It sounds like it's something really obvious
13 that I'm overlooking, but I don't understand how it could just stop. Even
14 the normal clicking associated with the processor "thinking" just halts.
15 Isn't that weird?
16
17 -Peter