From: Wil Reichert <wil.reichert@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Gentoo crashing?
Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 05:56:53
1 On 5/13/07, Peter Davoust <worldgnat@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Ok, I just conquered my gdm issues in a previous thread, and now I'm finding
3 > that gentoo is crashing on me! Twice so far, gentoo has crashed at fairly
4 > inappropriate times. I've used gentoo before, and not once has it crashed
5 > meaninglessly. First, I think I was listing a directory, and it totally
6 > froze, and then the second time I was unzipping a bzipped archive of the
7 > latest kernel sources and it came to a dead halt. I had to hard reboot the
8 > machine, it wasn't fun. I'm starting to get worried, especially since if it
9 > can't handle a little tar.bz2 file, then it certainly can't emerge anything.
10 > I'm sure you'll be wanting some logs, and I'll get them to you next time I
11 > boot gentoo. I've got 2 gig of RAM, and a dual core processor, so those
12 > aren't the problem, and my hard drive has plenty of free space (talking gigs
13 > here), so that's not it either. It sounds like it's something really obvious
14 > that I'm overlooking, but I don't understand how it could just stop. Even
15 > the normal clicking associated with the processor "thinking" just halts.
16 > Isn't that weird?
17
18 Did this just start when you loaded Gentoo? For the sake of
19 troubleshooting I'd start with taking Gentoo out of the loop and
20 verifying your hardware is not the problem. Memtest86, cpuburn, and
21 bonnie++ from a live cd should give you a decent sanity test. From
22 there look at your kernel then compiler flags. You also may want to
23 consider heat as well since the weather in most places is starting to
24 warm up this time of year.
25
26 Wil
27 --