From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Xorg issue now after update!
Date: Sat, 13 May 2006 18:12:35
1 B Vance <bvance@×××××.ca> posted
2 1147532778.3543.4.camel@×××××××××××.ShadowRealm, excerpted below, on Sat,
3 13 May 2006 11:06:18 -0400:
4
5 > To make a long story short, the ABI was changed in Xorg-server-1.0.99
6 > which killed the use of the ATI and NVIDIA produced drivers. Hopefully
7 > NVIDIA and ATI will update their drivers soon. Here is the forum link:
8 > http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-458721-highlight-xorgserver.html?sid=8311ca3b38f7e82539139900722afd83
9
10 Correct, and a bit of a pain, only xorg-server-1.0.99.90X indicates the
11 version for xorg-7.1-rcX. Those are entirely masked, not just ~arch
12 masked. If you look at his log, it's xorg-7.0, not 7.1, so anyway, he
13 hadn't merged the 7.1-rcs, so that shouldn't be the problem.
14
15 However, the jump to modular xorg, xorg 7.0, also caused some disturbance
16 with the binary-only drivers. Personally, I won't run binary-only and I
17 have a Radeon 9200 series which was the last one they released sufficient
18 info on to do proper 3D drivers, so I'm not the one to ask about those.
19
20 BTW, xorg 7.1 and beyond include experimental 3D drivers (reverse
21 engineered) for at least some of the later ATI cards. Once the full
22 release comes, it might be worth trying that, altho one will likely have
23 to unmask the Gentoo builds for awhile until they are satisfied they work
24 for most folks, in which case they'll go to ~arch. Meanwhile, I can
25 certainly sympathize with having an unsupported 3D card, unless you want
26 to run binary drivers, which isn't the best solution in several ways.
27 However, I really don't have an answer or recommendation at this point, if
28 3D is needed. Of course, if not, the recommendation is to go with the
29 ~arch 7.0.
34 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
37 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list