From: B Vance <bvance@×××××.ca>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Xorg issue now after update!
Date: Sat, 13 May 2006 15:13:33
1 On Sat, 2006-05-13 at 09:04 -0400, Christopher E wrote:
2 > Hello All,
3 >
4 > I final got out of gnome after doing some major updates to:
5 > Xorg to the latest ~amd
6 > kde to the latest ~amd
7 > gnome to the latest ~amd
8 > gcc to the latest ~amd
9 > glibc to the latest ~amd
10 > and a few other things that I just can not remember the spellings of.
11 >
12 > Well any how I restarted the system and ran startx and my system crashed
13 > I rebooted and then ran X -configure and it gave me:
14 <snip>
15 >
16 > What can I do, I have a ATI radeon 9800 All-in-Wonder, and the monitor
17 > is right also with the brand / module it has there
18 >
19 > Thanks for your help in helping me resolveing my issues of my system.
20 >
21 > Sincerely,
22 > Christopher
25 Since you jumped to a complete ~amd64, the easiest solution is to not
26 use the ATI 3d drivers (fgrlx) and use radeon only. This limits you to
27 2d.
28
29 The most realistic fix if you want 3d is to :
30
31 emerge -C xorg-server
32 echo "=x11-base/xorg-server-1.0.2-r4 ~amd64"
33 >> /etc/portage/package.keywords
34 emerge =x11-base/xorg-server-1.0.2-r4
35
36 To make a long story short, the ABI was changed in Xorg-server-1.0.99
37 which killed the use of the ATI and NVIDIA produced drivers. Hopefully
38 NVIDIA and ATI will update their drivers soon. Here is the forum link:
39 http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-458721-highlight-xorgserver.html?sid=8311ca3b38f7e82539139900722afd83
44 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list