From: Adam James <atj@××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] fsck seems to screw up my harddisk
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 17:33:36
1 On Fri, 12 Jan 2007 16:38:21 +0100 "Guido Doornberg"
2 <guidodoornberg@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > So, my question is quite simple i guess; Is it normal that my array
5 > (/dev/md3) doesn't like to be stopped? And if it isn't, how can I make
6 > it stop?
7
8 It would be helpful if you told us what filesystems you have mounted
9 on '/dev/md3'.
10
11 If it is your root partition, then it makes sense that it cannot be
12 unmounted, as the programs and files used in the shutdown are located
13 on it! This is not a problem however, as part of the shutdown process is
14 to remount as read-only any filesystems that cannot be cleanly
15 unmounted.
16
17 > * Remounting remaining filesystems readonly ... [ ok ]
18
19 This prevents any further writes to the disk, while still allowing
20 processes access to their data.
21
22 > Synchronizing SCSI cache for disk sdb:
23 > Synchronizing SCSI cache for disk sda:
24
25 Disk buffers are then synchronised to disk, removing any risk of data
26 corruption, and the system is halted.
27
28 > System halted.
29
30 So in answer to your question, it is quite normal and is not a problem.
31 If '/dev/md3' does not house your root partition, then it probably
32 contains a daemon that is refusing to shutdown in an orderly
33 manner. Running `lsof /partition` might help you track it down.
34
35 -atj
36 --
37 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list