From: David Klann <dklann@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Cc: 1i5t5.duncan@×××.net
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Wayland and X-Window
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2013 15:10:14
1 On Sat, 19 Oct 2013 07:11:05 +0000 (UTC) you corralled some electrons and
2 wrote:
3
4 > Frank Peters posted on Fri, 18 Oct 2013 21:36:09 -0400 as excerpted:
5 >
6 > > Up and coming, like it or not, from the Freedesktop project is the
7 > > X-Window replacement called Wayland. Gentoo is already involved with
8 > > Wayland although it is still considered experimental.
9 > >
10 > > My concern is whether or not Wayland will totally supplant X-Window or
11 > > will it exist as an option to X-Window. That is, when Wayland becomes
12 > > finally ready for prime time, will we all be forced to adopt it with no
13 > > alternative or will the standard X-Window also be a choice?
14 >
15 > Good question. Note that it can actually be seen as two separate
16 > questions, one in general, and one as it applies to gentoo, specifically.
19 Ahem. Duncan, I was ready to archive this reply: tl;dr, but I'm glad I
20 stuck with it. It's a long read, but I sincerely appreciate your
21 perspective and detailed analysis of the current state of Wayland and
22 dbus/udev.
23
24 Thanks!.
25
26 ~David
27
28 > For the general case, from all I've read, all the informed sources seem
29 > to expect the two to coexist together for some time, if I were to guess,
30 > I'd say three years or so minimum, and likely far longer in some distros,
31 > particularly those like gentoo and debian that support platforms running
32 > more than just the Linux kernel and general GNU-based userland. Given
33 > that the BSDs tend to move at a somewhat slower pace than Linux and some
34 > of the wayland technology is currently most developed on Linux, it'll
35 > likely be longer, I'd guess at least five years and very possibly a
36 > decade or more, on them.
37 > ...