From: YoYo Siska <yoyo@××××××.sk>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Can I run a complete desktop remotely?
Date: Sun, 27 May 2007 16:58:36
1 Mark Knecht wrote:
2 >
3 > Olivier and all others who responded:
4 >
5 > Thanks for the info. As always I appreciate it. I have looked at the
6 > links everyone provided but I think they are way over my head. I'm
7 > looking for an end-user sort of solution here. Thanks in advance for
8 > helping me.
9 >
10 > The issue here, for me, is not running X apps on the remote machine. I
11 > do that already. My dad, who is now 78 and happily running Gentoo
12 > Linux for over 4 years now, gets by when he has an application problem
13 > by asking me to log in and fix things with the app. For instance, when
14 > I update Evolution or when he changed ISPs recently I often need to go
15 > fix individual configuration items. I do that just running the app
16 > over an SSH tunnel with X forwarding turned on. No problems other than
17 > the speed.
20 Hi,
21 just another hint beside the others:
22
23 I use x11vnc for such scenarios: I ssh into the machine as the user
24 running the X session, start up x11vnc -display :0, and then just run
25 vncviewer remote_host:0 on my computer
26
27 There are a few things to note however: the x11vnc must be able to
28 connect to the xserver (I mean authentication through XAUTH)
29 with KDM (regardless of the session you choose, just the display
30 manager) it just worked for me, gdm may be worse and you may have to set
31 up correct XAUTHORITY
32
33 If the user has not logged in already (there's the kdm/gdm login screen
34 on the remote computer still) you _have_ to set the XAUTH. With kdm the
35 xauth file is /var/run/xauth/A:${DISPLAY}-some_random_chars, accesible
36 only from root. You have to run the x11vnc as root with the xauth file,
37 for example:
38 x11vnc -display :0 -auth /var/run/xauth/A:0-crR0kF
41 There also used to be directly a module for the X server that you could
42 load and just connect to the screen anytime with vncviewer without the
43 need to run x11vnc a to play with xauth... But I played with it a long
44 time ago, it was a seperate module etc... I remember vaguely that it was
45 either included in standard xorg or something.. but I don't really know
49 OK, after I wrote this I found
50 http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Use_VNC_to_connect_to_existing_X_Sessions
51 ;)))
52
53 there's the x11vnc way (with a way to set up kde to always start it, and
54 the locations of xauth files for gdm, ... ;), and also the X extension
55 way (you just need to emerge vnc with server use flag, and it should
56 install the vnc module for Xserver, configuration is on the wiki page)
59 yoyo
60 --
61 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list