From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Can I run a complete desktop remotely?
Date: Sun, 27 May 2007 15:42:20
1 On 5/26/07, Olivier Crête <tester@g.o> wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > You have two choice, you can use Xvnc (its a pure-vnc X server). Or you
5 > can use something like Xdmcp.
6 >
7 > On Sat, 2007-26-05 at 12:07 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
8 > > Hi,
9 > > Is it possible to run a complete Gnome desktop from a remote
10 > > location through ssh? I'm not talking about using vnc to watch a
11 > > remote desktop but actually run one remotely and only have it
12 > > displayed here.
13 > >
14 > > Thanks,
15 > > Mark
16 > --
17
18 Olivier and all others who responded:
19
20 Thanks for the info. As always I appreciate it. I have looked at the
21 links everyone provided but I think they are way over my head. I'm
22 looking for an end-user sort of solution here. Thanks in advance for
23 helping me.
24
25 The issue here, for me, is not running X apps on the remote machine. I
26 do that already. My dad, who is now 78 and happily running Gentoo
27 Linux for over 4 years now, gets by when he has an application problem
28 by asking me to log in and fix things with the app. For instance, when
29 I update Evolution or when he changed ISPs recently I often need to go
30 fix individual configuration items. I do that just running the app
31 over an SSH tunnel with X forwarding turned on. No problems other than
32 the speed.
33
34 The case I'm looking at now is that either he or my mom will tell me
35 something about what they are seeing their desktop, like a Gnome
36 launcher or some other thing, which isn't working correctly. I want to
37 see what they are seeing. Keep in mind I don't know which account this
38 is until they send me an email.
39
40 I understand I could do this with VNC. I've done that in the past with
41 my dad sitting at the machine. Unfortunately neither of them seems
42 comfortable starting applications like VNC and often I'm working on
43 this machine when they are not around or have gone to bed. What I want
44 to do is actually log in as one of them, start a Gnome session and see
45 their desktop as they would see it but displayed here 350 miles away
46 in a window on my machine.
47
48 I'm not *overly* worried about display speed. I understand it will be
49 slow. (Very slow...) I've dealt with that for years now. However I've
50 never been able to fix desktop launchers or configure the Gnome panel
51 for them without them running VNC which just doesn't work.
52
53 What I'm hoping to find is a simple, end user type description of how
54 to set up to run a remote session like this. I don't currently
55 understand all the technical aspect of these different technologies,
56 like XDMCP, etc., but I figure I'll learn as I go along. (As I always
57 have...) It didn't seem to me that any of the links so far addressed
58 this, or at least at a level that someone like me would understand.
59 However maybe I'm just not understanding the technologies well enough
60 yet to see the answer staring me in the face.
61
62 Anyway, the simpler the better for me.
63
64 Thanks,
65 Mark
66 --