From: Richard Freeman <rich@××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Can I run a complete desktop remotely?
Date: Sun, 27 May 2007 16:17:52
1 Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > What I want
3 > to do is actually log in as one of them, start a Gnome session and see
4 > their desktop as they would see it but displayed here 350 miles away
5 > in a window on my machine.
6
7 Ah, what you want is remote framebuffer support.
8
9 kde-base/krfb will do the trick, and I know there is a gnome equivalent
10 (but I don't know what it is called). It uses vnc, and it essentially
11 runs as a daemon if you configure it correctly.
12
13 I'm not sure where it is, but I'm guessing somewhere in the gnome
14 control panel you can enable it. Then you can connect to display :0 and
15 see whatever is on the console. Note that I'm not sure if you'll see
16 anything using direct hardware rendering (like mplayer-using-xv/etc).
17 And as you expect it is a bit slow.

smime.p7s application/x-pkcs7-signature