From: Frank Peters <frank.peters@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Disable SPP On GCC-4.8.3
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2014 13:04:46
1 On Tue, 17 Jun 2014 07:11:26 +0000 (UTC)
2 Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
3
4 > If you want to disable the strong-but-not-all default when it
5 > comes in 4.9, OK, but I'd suggest at least keeping this minimal threshold
6 > of protection, particularly since it /will/ be the default now and thus
7 > there should be if anything fewer problems with it than not.
10 The problem with all Linux distributions, and not just Gentoo, is that
11 they are directed toward a multi-user, networked environment. As a
12 consequence, they exhibit security and other features that generally
13 make no sense whatsoever for a single-user desktop machine that optionally
14 connects externally only with an ISP through a router/modem.
15
16 I continually have configuration problems because of the need to
17 work around the useless (vis-a-vis the single-user desktop) and
18 myriad requirements of the multi-user, networked scenario.
19
20 In the single-user, desktop environment, the probability of a buffer
21 overflow "attack" is virtually nil, especially if one is highly selective
22 about "surfing" the Internet and employing Internet software (which
23 I am).
24
25 There needs to be a Linux distribution or sub-distribution that caters
26 to the needs of the single, desktop user, ensconced as he is within
27 his private garret and far removed from the troubles of a massive
28 network. My system is configured in a way that is quite contrary
29 to recommended Linux practice (for example I run only and always as the
30 root superuser and have no need for file permissions) but yet it makes
31 perfect sense for my situation.
32
33 Are single desktop users that much of a minority? I would hope not.
34
35 Frank Peters