From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Disable SPP On GCC-4.8.3
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2014 17:05:59
1 On Tue, Jun 17, 2014 at 9:04 AM, Frank Peters <frank.peters@×××××××.net> wrote:
2 >
3 > The problem with all Linux distributions, and not just Gentoo, is that
4 > they are directed toward a multi-user, networked environment. As a
5 > consequence, they exhibit security and other features that generally
6 > make no sense whatsoever for a single-user desktop machine that optionally
7 > connects externally only with an ISP through a router/modem.
8 >...
9 > My system is configured in a way that is quite contrary
10 > to recommended Linux practice (for example I run only and always as the
11 > root superuser and have no need for file permissions) but yet it makes
12 > perfect sense for my situation.
15 Keep in mind that there are many elements to data security. Not
16 beeing pwned by script kiddies is certainly one of them, and that
17 doesn't really apply so much to the single-user desktop. However, if
18 you take a broader definition of data security then things become more
19 nuanced.
20
21 Let's define data security as "the prevention of unintended
22 destruction or dissemination of data stored on a system, or an
23 unintended loss of system functionality."
24
25 When you use a broader definition then security really ought to be
26 important to the single-user desktop. Features that should be
27 considered important include:
28 * Disaster recovery / backups / etc.
29 * Prevention of unintentional system changes (ie don't be root)
30 * Robustness in the face of or rapid recovery from common failure
31 modes (ie RAID, rapid restoration, etc).
32 * Protection from whatever is lurking in that banner ad your browser
33 just downloaded (ie SSP/SELinux/etc).
34
35 So, I wouldn't be too quick to dismiss security. My only
36 personally-owned laptop is a Chromebook and its features include being
37 trivial to restore to factory condition, having all data backed up
38 online continuously, having full-disk encryption, and having automatic
39 updates to keep all of that stuff working. That certainly isn't the
40 only model for a desktop machine, but from a data-security standpoint
41 it is about as good as it gets, and it is the result of a design that
42 keeps security in mind.
43
44 Rich