From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: cant boot off sata disk
Date: Thu, 09 Apr 2009 05:33:09
1 Barry Schwartz <chemoelectric@×××××××××××××.org> posted
2 20090408230656.GA18637@××××××××××××××××××.org, excerpted below, on Wed,
3 08 Apr 2009 18:06:56 -0500:
4
5 > When I had a machine dual-booting to MSDOS and Slackware, I used the DOS
6 > MBR and wrote LILO into the boot record of a Linux partition.
7
8 I don't remember what I did back when I was experimenting, 2000 or so,
9 but when I decided MS was going with eXPrivacy a way I could not and
10 would not follow and thus got serious about Linux, I bought a new drive
11 (100 gig), and made it all Linux. I then set the BIOS boot drive
12 selector to the Linux drive and installed LILO to the MBR on it, not at
13 that point touching the (much smaller) drive with MS on it.
14
15 That way, I could switch the BIOS boot selector to the MS side and it
16 would boot it directly, tho I normally kept the BIOS pointed at the Linux
17 drive, which had a LILO entry for the MS installation as well.
18
19 But once I knew I had to get off MS -- they weren't giving me a lot of
20 choice, unless I wanted to pirate it -- I bought a couple good books on
21 Linux (Running Linux and Linux in a Nutshell, best recommendations I ever
22 got and I continue to recommend them to others today), and within three
23 months had learned how to configure and build my own kernel, configure
24 and install LILO for booting the MS side so to MS Windows it looked like
25 it was the primary drive, and configure xf86config (now xorg.conf) from
26 scratch for dual cards, dual graphics drivers, and triple monitors, along
27 with trying various desktop environments and choosing KDE, and choosing
28 all the apps I was going to use.
29
30 That first three months was tough, but once I had everything setup the
31 way I wanted/needed it, there was no going back, and the back-from
32 MSWormOS was logarithmic, 2 weeks between boots to it, a month, three
33 months (by then to sort out stuff to archive and delete a bunch of other
34 stuff, to shrink its partitions), six months (to finish arranging things
35 to delete the Windows partitions entirely, tho I kept the install files
36 around until I went AMD64), no more.
37
38 But during that first three months I was still booting MS quite a bit, as
39 I was still running OE for mail and news as choosing kmail for mail and
40 pan for news were the last main Linux app choices I made and the app
41 choices were after I got the hardware setup. In particular, I was
42 getting a bit of help with the switch from folks on my ISP's newsgroups
43 -- and using OE to do it.
48 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman