From: Barry Schwartz <chemoelectric@×××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] cant boot off sata disk
Date: Wed, 08 Apr 2009 23:07:42
1 Daiajo Tibdixious <daiajo@×××××.com> skribis:
2 > On Tue, Apr 7, 2009 at 11:03 AM, Barry Schwartz
3 > <chemoelectric@×××××××××××××.org> wrote:
4 > > Daiajo Tibdixious <daiajo@×××××.com> skribis:
5 > >> I suspect the problem has to be in the BIOS settings yet it looks alright.
6 > >> I'm wondering if grub can be told to put out more early information.
7 > >
8 > > Did you do a grub-install to write the MBR?
9 > >
10 > when I did revdep-rebuild it rebuild grub & appeared to do a
11 > grub-install, however I will manually do it & see.
12
13 I saw you got it working.
14
15 Running the ebuild by default puts Grub into your /boot partition but
16 doesn't write any of it to the MBR. That's the sort of thing Windows
17 does. :)
18
19 (When I had a machine dual-booting to MSDOS and Slackware, I used the
20 DOS MBR and wrote LILO into the boot record of a Linux partition.)