From: Drew <drew.kay@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Processor Temprature
Date: Sun, 08 Oct 2006 16:15:33
1 > If your compiles aren't failing and sed/gcc or anything that deals with
2 > floating point numbers isn't failing, you're not too hot or too overclocked
3 > or, as my dumb donkey thinks, not overclocked enough.
4
5 That's not quite true Jason. You can have a chip running hot enough
6 it's introducing errors into the computations but not crashing apps.
7 Try a Prime95 torture test and see what I mean. It calculates Mersenne
8 Primes and under the torture test trys to recompute a number of
9 mersenne primes. Because it's testing against a known good value, it's
10 able to detect if any of the math calculations are unstable due to
11 heat.
12
13 And yes I do overclock. :P Running an Athlon XPm 2500+ @ 2.5GHz(stock:
14 1.8GHz). Temps never crack 40c on air cooling and the rig is rock
15 solid.
18 -Andrew
19 --
20 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list