From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] If CD boots then why won't the hard drive?
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 17:41:01
1 On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 9:07 AM, Paul Hartman
2 <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 10:57 AM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >> On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 8:26 AM, Paul Hartman
5 >> <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com> wrote:
6 >>> On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 10:04 AM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
7 >>>> Hi again,
8 >>>>   Same new machine - new thread so as to not confuse the other thread
9 >>>> about flags.
10 >>>>
11 >>>>   I made enough headway with grub to get it to find a kernel and try
12 >>>> to boot, but fails with the message:
13 >>>>
14 >>>> VFS: Cannot open root device "sda2" or unknown-block(2,0)
15 >>>> Please append a correct "root=" boot option; Here are the available partitions:
16 >>>> Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(2,0)
17 >>>>
18 >>>> Note that is lists nothing when it says 'Here are the available partitions:'
19 >>>
20 >>> It really seems like it's missing the appropriate filesystem driver to me.
21 >>>
22 >>> Since you mentioned ext2 and ext3 built into the kernel but not ext4,
23 >>> I wonder if the auto-detect is trying to mount your partition as ext4
24 >>> type? Try to add the rootfstype=ext3 (or whatever your root FS type
25 >>> is) to your boot line to force it to use the specific filesystem
26 >>> driver you want.
27 >>>
28 >>>
29 >> In this case it was the chipset drivers not being built in. I'm now
30 >> booting successfully into Gentoo, albeit a very stripped down
31 >> nothing-but-install-CD system.
32 >>
33 >> At least now, as far as Gentoo is concerned, I can work with tools on
34 >> the hard drive and maybe see what I can make the machine do. hdparm
35 >> says 65MB/Sec so I've got enough disk speed to make an emerge @world
36 >> go reasonably fast. top shows all 4 processors. This is my first SMP
37 >> machine running Gentoo. I'm looking forward to it. My graphic
38 >> performance (not important to me as I do mostly audio stuff) will be
39 >> low as I'm using the 900MHz Intel VGA that's built into the processor
40 >> of the i5-661, not the chipset, so far less traffic to the North
41 >> Bridge if I understand correctly. We'll see.
42 >>
43 >> I'll be back. Windows still doesn't boot and I don't so far think it's
44 >> a grub problem but I need to do some research on the error messages...
45 >>
46 >> Thanks!
47 >
48 > Glad you got it working. Gentoo on SMP is a match made in heaven. :)
49 >
50 > Also, if you're using Windows 7 in dual-boot on there beware of some
51 > possible conflicts with GRUB:
52 > http://community.zdnet.co.uk/blog/0,1000000567,10014915o-2000498448b,00.htm
55 thanks for the pointer. I'll be careful. I'm still on XP and if I've
56 got enough power I may try to run most of my Windows stuff in vmware
57 and never go to Win 7. We'll see.
58
59 I may need to some back and ask some questions about grub and
60 dual-boot anyway as I expect it was my grub install that corrupted the
61 existing Windows installation but I don't know yet.
62
63 Again, thanks!
64
65 Cheers,