From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] If CD boots then why won't the hard drive?
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 17:07:50
1 On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 10:57 AM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 8:26 AM, Paul Hartman
3 > <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >> On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 10:04 AM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >>> Hi again,
6 >>> Same new machine - new thread so as to not confuse the other thread
7 >>> about flags.
8 >>>
9 >>> I made enough headway with grub to get it to find a kernel and try
10 >>> to boot, but fails with the message:
11 >>>
12 >>> VFS: Cannot open root device "sda2" or unknown-block(2,0)
13 >>> Please append a correct "root=" boot option; Here are the available partitions:
14 >>> Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(2,0)
15 >>>
16 >>> Note that is lists nothing when it says 'Here are the available partitions:'
17 >>
18 >> It really seems like it's missing the appropriate filesystem driver to me.
19 >>
20 >> Since you mentioned ext2 and ext3 built into the kernel but not ext4,
21 >> I wonder if the auto-detect is trying to mount your partition as ext4
22 >> type? Try to add the rootfstype=ext3 (or whatever your root FS type
23 >> is) to your boot line to force it to use the specific filesystem
24 >> driver you want.
27 > In this case it was the chipset drivers not being built in. I'm now
28 > booting successfully into Gentoo, albeit a very stripped down
29 > nothing-but-install-CD system.
30 >
31 > At least now, as far as Gentoo is concerned, I can work with tools on
32 > the hard drive and maybe see what I can make the machine do. hdparm
33 > says 65MB/Sec so I've got enough disk speed to make an emerge @world
34 > go reasonably fast. top shows all 4 processors. This is my first SMP
35 > machine running Gentoo. I'm looking forward to it. My graphic
36 > performance (not important to me as I do mostly audio stuff) will be
37 > low as I'm using the 900MHz Intel VGA that's built into the processor
38 > of the i5-661, not the chipset, so far less traffic to the North
39 > Bridge if I understand correctly. We'll see.
40 >
41 > I'll be back. Windows still doesn't boot and I don't so far think it's
42 > a grub problem but I need to do some research on the error messages...
43 >
44 > Thanks!
45
46 Glad you got it working. Gentoo on SMP is a match made in heaven. :)
47
48 Also, if you're using Windows 7 in dual-boot on there beware of some
49 possible conflicts with GRUB:
50 http://community.zdnet.co.uk/blog/0,1000000567,10014915o-2000498448b,00.htm