From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] If CD boots then why won't the hard drive?
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 16:57:58
1 On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 8:26 AM, Paul Hartman
2 <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 10:04 AM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >> Hi again,
5 >>   Same new machine - new thread so as to not confuse the other thread
6 >> about flags.
7 >>
8 >>   I made enough headway with grub to get it to find a kernel and try
9 >> to boot, but fails with the message:
10 >>
11 >> VFS: Cannot open root device "sda2" or unknown-block(2,0)
12 >> Please append a correct "root=" boot option; Here are the available partitions:
13 >> Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(2,0)
14 >>
15 >> Note that is lists nothing when it says 'Here are the available partitions:'
16 >
17 > It really seems like it's missing the appropriate filesystem driver to me.
18 >
19 > Since you mentioned ext2 and ext3 built into the kernel but not ext4,
20 > I wonder if the auto-detect is trying to mount your partition as ext4
21 > type? Try to add the rootfstype=ext3 (or whatever your root FS type
22 > is) to your boot line to force it to use the specific filesystem
23 > driver you want.
26 In this case it was the chipset drivers not being built in. I'm now
27 booting successfully into Gentoo, albeit a very stripped down
28 nothing-but-install-CD system.
29
30 At least now, as far as Gentoo is concerned, I can work with tools on
31 the hard drive and maybe see what I can make the machine do. hdparm
32 says 65MB/Sec so I've got enough disk speed to make an emerge @world
33 go reasonably fast. top shows all 4 processors. This is my first SMP
34 machine running Gentoo. I'm looking forward to it. My graphic
35 performance (not important to me as I do mostly audio stuff) will be
36 low as I'm using the 900MHz Intel VGA that's built into the processor
37 of the i5-661, not the chipset, so far less traffic to the North
38 Bridge if I understand correctly. We'll see.
39
40 I'll be back. Windows still doesn't boot and I don't so far think it's
41 a grub problem but I need to do some research on the error messages...
42
43 Thanks!