From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] If CD boots then why won't the hard drive?
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 16:26:55
1 On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 10:04 AM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Hi again,
3 > Same new machine - new thread so as to not confuse the other thread
4 > about flags.
5 >
6 > I made enough headway with grub to get it to find a kernel and try
7 > to boot, but fails with the message:
8 >
9 > VFS: Cannot open root device "sda2" or unknown-block(2,0)
10 > Please append a correct "root=" boot option; Here are the available partitions:
11 > Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(2,0)
12 >
13 > Note that is lists nothing when it says 'Here are the available partitions:'
14
15 It really seems like it's missing the appropriate filesystem driver to me.
16
17 Since you mentioned ext2 and ext3 built into the kernel but not ext4,
18 I wonder if the auto-detect is trying to mount your partition as ext4
19 type? Try to add the rootfstype=ext3 (or whatever your root FS type
20 is) to your boot line to force it to use the specific filesystem
21 driver you want.