From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: RAM problem with X
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2006 14:17:59
1 Luigi Pinna <mailing-gentoo@××××××××××××.com> posted
2 200611261242.24638.mailing-gentoo@××××××××××××.com, excerpted below, on
3 Sun, 26 Nov 2006 12:42:20 +0100:
4
5 > I think that a found the problem: firefox-bin. If I use that program (to
6 > use flash website) and I forget it open, X process starts to eat the
7 > memory; if I close it the problem diseappear and very slowly it releases
8 > the memory.
9
10 Unfortunately, firefox isn't known for being the most stable app on the
11 planet. There are a lot of folks that use it but can't leave it open for
12 long periods, or anyway as long as they would if they could, due to they
13 way it manages/leaks memory.
14
15 Unfortunately, flash isn't resource-thrifty either, and being a
16 source-less binary program, well let's just say it's easy to blame it for
17 stuff that may or may not be its problem, because it's not open source.
18 (As such, it's not going to be on my computer, period, and I'd tend to be
19 one blaming it, but to be fair, it's easy to blame since it /is/ a black
20 box we can't see inside of.) From what I've read, some people find FF's
21 problems worse when they run flash (just reporting it as I've read it).
22
23 So... a couple things that could help, if that is the problem.... One,
24 get that extension that turns flash embeds into click-links, thereby
25 avoiding it running unnecessarily. (I'm a Konqueror fan so don't expect
26 me to remember the name of the FF extension...) Two, shut down FF when
27 you aren't using it.
28
29 Of course, I'd /rather/ you simply decided proprietaryware flash wasn't
30 worth it, but it's your computer and your decision, and not one that I'd
31 make for you even if I could, as what sort of freedom would I believe in
32 then. =8^)
37 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
40 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list