From: Mark Haney <mhaney@××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] firefox 2 on amd64
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2007 20:15:08
1 Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
2 > On Wednesday 03 January 2007 09:49, "Mark Haney" <mhaney@××××××××××××.org>
3 > wrote about 'Re: [gentoo-amd64] firefox 2 on amd64':
4 >> Stefan Vunckx wrote:
5 >> Okay I compiled and installed it, it works great but does anyone else
6 >> see it in their menu list as 'Bon Echo'? I also see that in the title
7 >> bar. I haven't rebooted or regenerated my kde menu since compiling it,
8 >> but will doing that fix the menu?
9 >
10 > As others have mentioned, check the mozbranding USE flag.
11 >
12 > Any binaries that aren't from the pristine source (e.g. with any unapproved
13 > patches) that use the Mozilla Branding (i.e. the Firefox name and Icon,
14 > controlled in Gentoo with the mozbranding USE flag) are subject to the
15 > same issue that Debian saw during the "IceWeasel" debacle
16 >
17 > Personally, I deal with enough branding, so I leave the mozbranding USE
18 > flag off. [As a side-effect, any packages or binaries I build can be
19 > freely distributed under my choice of the GPL or MPL since they are not
20 > subject to trademark issues.]
23 Ah, now it makes sense. But since I have no intention of building
24 anything to be distributed or used for other than what it was designed
25 for, I'm okay with the branding. Most times I treat brands like I treat
26 my kids when they get rowdy, I mentally turn off any notice of them.
31 Ita erat quando hic adveni.
32
33 Mark Haney
34 Sr. Systems Administrator