From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Printer Setup
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2006 13:15:58
1 On Monday 16 October 2006 05:25, Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o> wrote
2 about 'Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Printer Setup':
3 > Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
4 > > Probably an MFC-7420, like mine, or possibly one of it's "big
5 > > brothers." They have cups, lpd, and sane drivers available for x86
6 > > linux, but no support for other arches (including x86_64) last time I
7 > > checked.
8 > Actually, cups drivers are binaries, so you could just use the x86
9 > driver on a x86_64 system. It shouldn't really be slower either.
10
11 That makes sense. I know the sane drivers are 32-bit libraries, so my
12 64-bit sane instalaltion refused to load them. I ran into other problems
13 with the install (Gentoo isn't offically supported) and I've had good luck
14 with trying alternate printer drivers on other systems (including while I
15 was on Windows) so I just did that. I hear those issue with the install
16 are either fixed or have been clearly documented with workarounds.
19 "If there's one thing we've established over the years,
20 it's that the vast majority of our users don't have the slightest
21 clue what's best for them in terms of package stability."
22 -- Gentoo Developer Ciaran McCreesh