From: "Conway S. Smith" <beolach@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Can I run a complete desktop remotely?
Date: Sat, 26 May 2007 19:56:54
1 On Sat, 26 May 2007 12:07:02 -0700
2 "Mark Knecht" <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > Hi,
4 > Is it possible to run a complete Gnome desktop from a remote
5 > location through ssh? I'm not talking about using vnc to watch a
6 > remote desktop but actually run one remotely and only have it
7 > displayed here.
8 >
9 > Thanks,
10 > Mark
11
12 Yes; the X Windowing System was designed as both a display and a
13 networking protocol. The X Server is where the video is displayed &
14 where the input (keyboard, mouse) comes from; the X clients are the
15 program(s) that are being displayed. Any or all of the X clients,
16 including the Desktop Environment / Window Manager, can be run on the
17 same host as the Server, or on remote hosts (as long as the remote
18 hosts have permission to access the X Server).
19
20 SSH also includes functionality to allow X11 forwarding through the
21 encrypted SSH connection.
22
23 Hopefully helpful links:
24 http://www.vanemery.com/Linux/XoverSSH/X-over-SSH2.html