From: Martin Herrman <martin@×××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] How to use &&
Date: Sun, 04 Jan 2009 14:50:48
1 On Sun, Jan 4, 2009 at 3:47 PM, Paul Stear <gentoo@××××××××××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > The number of files I need to work on is huge so using ";" instead of "&&"
4 > will enable me to spread the load overnight for a few weeks.
5 >
6 > Thanks for all who responded. Don't you just love gentoo Linux.
7 > Paul
8
9 Note: ; is sequential, not optimized for multiple cores (I wonder if && is)
10
11 You don't have to do overnight:
12 - my quadcore can run ogg2mp3 well with 4 child processes and I don't
13 notice any difference on performance while using amarok, firefox,
14 openoffice and kopete.
15 - if you have a single-core you can use the 'nice' command to lower
16 the priority of the batch
17
18 Well, yes, it's not only gentoo, it's the power of GNU :-)
19
20 Martin