From: Paul Stear <gentoo@××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] How to use &&
Date: Sun, 04 Jan 2009 14:45:44
1 On Sunday 04 January 2009 14:35:52 Martin Herrman wrote:
2 > On Sun, Jan 4, 2009 at 3:31 PM, Maciej Kazulak <kazulakm@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > > The reason only the first command was executed can be that it returned a
4 > > non-zero exit status. If you want to make sure every command gets a
5 > > chance to execute, regardless of what the exit status of the previous one
6 > > is, substitute '&&' with ';'. Check this out:
7 > > box% false && echo "will not be echoed"
8 > > box% false; echo "hello"
9 > > hello
10 > > box%
11 <snip>
12 > hehe, didn't think about using a ; that would work as well :-)
13 > (but if you have A to Z, your command will be much longer than just
14 > the for-loop in script 1)
15 >
16 > BTW, you might want to output all to a file using >> "/home/Fred
17 > Music/output.log" and view it using a "tail -f /path/file". Run
18 > mp3gain quiet and grep the output.log file for errors/failures..
19 The number of files I need to work on is huge so using ";" instead of "&&"
20 will enable me to spread the load overnight for a few weeks.
21
22 Thanks for all who responded. Don't you just love gentoo Linux.
23 Paul
27 This message has been sent using kmail with gentoo linux