From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Hurray! Radeon KMS in 2.6.31
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 20:17:49
1 "Dmitri Pogosyan" <pogosyan@×××××××××××××.ca> posted
2 200906171919.n5HJJ7007690@×××××××××××××××××××××.ca, excerpted below, on
3 Wed, 17 Jun 2009 13:19:07 -0600:
4
5 > I wonder, what are the negatives of moving modesetting to kernel from
6 > userspace ? Will we be loosing some functionality (at least temperarily)
7 > ? How will, say, choosing mode on external distplay work ?
8
9 The biggest negative for the Intel users has been the rough ride, and
10 yes, some functionality is certainly lost during the transition. It's
11 about done for the Intel users but just starting for Radeon users. Let's
12 see if I can find the (Intel dev) blog I read on that...
13
14 http://keithp.com/blogs/Sharpening_the_Intel_Driver_Focus/
15
16 The date posted was April 24, 2009
17
18 Excerpts...
19
20 Because all of these changes cross multiple projects (X/Mesa/Linux),
21 we’ve tried to make sure we supported all of the possible combinations.
22 Let’s see what options we’ve got:
23
24 Mode Setting
25 1 User Mode
26 2 Kernel Mode
27
28 Direct Rendering
29 1 None
30 2 DRI1
31 3 DRI2
32
33 Memory Management
34 1 X server + Old-style DRI
35 2 GEM
36
37 2D acceleration
38 1 None
39 2 XAA
40 3 EXA
41 4 UXA
42
43 Pick One From Each [Category]
44
45 With 2 × 3 × 2 × 4 = 48 combinations, you can imagine that:
46 Some of them can’t work together
47 Some of them haven’t been tested
48 Some of them haven’t been tuned for performance
49 Some work well on i915, and poorly on 965GM
50 Others work well on 965GM and poorly on 855
51 None of them (yet) work perfectly well everywhere
52
53 The obvious result here is that we’re at a point where application
54 performance goes all over the map, depending on the hardware platform and
55 particular set of configuration options selected.
56
57 Light at Tunnel’s End
58
59 The good news is that our redesign is now complete, and we have the
60 architecture we want in place throughout the system — global graphics
61 memory management, kernel mode setting and per-window 3D buffers. This
62 means that the rate of new code additions to the driver has dropped
63 dramatically; almost to zero. Going forward, users should expect this
64 ‘perfect’ combination to work more reliably, faster and better as time
65 goes by.
66
67 End excerpts...
68
69 As I said, it was quite the rough ride. But that was nearing the end of
70 April, and things have been better since. Hopefully Radeon won't be
71 quite as bad. We'll see I guess.
72
73 As for the last question, the example of external display mode, at
74 minimum, it shouldn't regress (except for temporary regressions of the
75 type Keith explained in his blog). The xorg folks have put an enormous
76 amount of work into hotplug, and they won't be letting that go just for
77 this. I'm not entirely sure on this, but from my understanding, X will
78 still be in control of the modes. It'll simply use the kernel's EDID/DDC
79 detection instead of its own to see what modes are there (and whether any
80 additional modes as configured will work within the detected card and
81 monitor parameters) and to do the actual mode switches, but it'll be
82 telling the kernel what mode to use, tho the default will be native/
83 primary mode for both the CLI/text framebuffer and X initially, thus no
84 mode change switching between them.
89 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman