From: "Kevin N. Carpenter" <kevinc@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] hardened-sources
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 04:06:22
1 Very interesting. We are using the same mobo, but in my case, 2.6.13
2 works fine, 2.6.11 (hardened) is having the problem. I also tried both
3 drivers.
4
5 Kevin
6
7 Drake Donahue wrote:
8
9 > New installs of kernel-2.6.13-r3 were delinking the marvell yukon nic
10 > builtin to my asus a8v deluxe last week. This occurred during first
11 > boot of the newly installed kernel with the skge driver built in. The
12 > nic was present and apparently functional in ifconfig but the link
13 > light was out. The condition persisted through subsequent reboots of
14 > kernel-2.6.13-r3 and boot into Windows XP (dual boot machine).
15 > Correction required clearing CMOS. After cleaning up the CMOS the nic
16 > returned to operation. Recompiled kernel-2.6.13-r3 with sklin(the
17 > deprecated proprietary driver) and skge(the open source recommended
18 > driver) as modules. This allowed me to see that the link light
19 > extinguished simultaneously with autoload of skge. Lost interest and
20 > did not reload the kernel to observe sklin operation as a module. If
21 > your board has via bios as mine does ...
22 > ----- Original Message ----- From: "Kevin N. Carpenter"
23 > <kevinc@××××××××.org>
24 > To: <gentoo-amd64@l.g.o>
25 > Sent: Monday, October 24, 2005 8:26 PM
26 > Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] hardened-sources
29 >> Hi all -
30 >>
31 >> Got a funny one that has cost me a few hours of wondering, followed
32 >> by enlightenment, followed by more wondering... Not sure this is an
33 >> AMD64 issue or a kernel issue, but since I'm subscribed here, thought
34 >> I'd start here.
35 >>
36 >> I started my newly rebuilt system on gentoo-sources 2.6.13, but since
37 >> this is a firewall machine, I opted to go with hardened-sources
38 >> 2.6.11. Quickly found out that GRSecurity level "high" caused startup
39 >> errors with INIT, but "medium" seemed to work fine. However, for the
40 >> life of me, I couldn't get DHCPD to respond to request for IP
41 >> addressed. No dmesg complaint, nothing in the log files, no network
42 >> activity... the last was the key. I'm using the builtin Marvel
43 >> gigabit on my Asus motherboard. Eventually I realized I couldn't do
44 >> anything out that port, although ifconfig showed it up. A bit more
45 >> looking showed the lack of a link-light. Tried swapping cables,
46 >> ports, etc. - no go. Eventually booted back to 2.6.13 (non-hardened
47 >> source tree) and the port works fine! I noticed the LiveCD is 2.6.12,
48 >> and the port works there as well (which kept me from going completely
49 >> insane and replacing the motherboard. Once it worked on LiveCD I
50 >> realized I had a kernel problem.)
51 >>
52 >> So... does anyone know if this is a 2.6.11 issue, and AMD-64 issue,
53 >> or a general hardened-sources issues?
54 >>
55 >> Thanks!
56 >>
57 >> Kevin (running unhardened 2.6.13 for now...)
58 >> --
59 >> gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list
65 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list