From: Drake Donahue <donahue95@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] hardened-sources
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 03:53:13
1 New installs of kernel-2.6.13-r3 were delinking the marvell yukon nic
2 builtin to my asus a8v deluxe last week. This occurred during first boot of
3 the newly installed kernel with the skge driver built in. The nic was
4 present and apparently functional in ifconfig but the link light was out.
5 The condition persisted through subsequent reboots of kernel-2.6.13-r3 and
6 boot into Windows XP (dual boot machine). Correction required clearing CMOS.
7 After cleaning up the CMOS the nic returned to operation. Recompiled
8 kernel-2.6.13-r3 with sklin(the deprecated proprietary driver) and skge(the
9 open source recommended driver) as modules. This allowed me to see that the
10 link light extinguished simultaneously with autoload of skge. Lost interest
11 and did not reload the kernel to observe sklin operation as a module. If
12 your board has via bios as mine does ...
13 ----- Original Message -----
14 From: "Kevin N. Carpenter" <kevinc@××××××××.org>
15 To: <gentoo-amd64@l.g.o>
16 Sent: Monday, October 24, 2005 8:26 PM
17 Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] hardened-sources
20 > Hi all -
21 >
22 > Got a funny one that has cost me a few hours of wondering, followed by
23 > enlightenment, followed by more wondering... Not sure this is an AMD64
24 > issue or a kernel issue, but since I'm subscribed here, thought I'd start
25 > here.
26 >
27 > I started my newly rebuilt system on gentoo-sources 2.6.13, but since this
28 > is a firewall machine, I opted to go with hardened-sources 2.6.11.
29 > Quickly found out that GRSecurity level "high" caused startup errors with
30 > INIT, but "medium" seemed to work fine. However, for the life of me, I
31 > couldn't get DHCPD to respond to request for IP addressed. No dmesg
32 > complaint, nothing in the log files, no network activity... the last was
33 > the key. I'm using the builtin Marvel gigabit on my Asus motherboard.
34 > Eventually I realized I couldn't do anything out that port, although
35 > ifconfig showed it up. A bit more looking showed the lack of a
36 > link-light. Tried swapping cables, ports, etc. - no go. Eventually
37 > booted back to 2.6.13 (non-hardened source tree) and the port works fine!
38 > I noticed the LiveCD is 2.6.12, and the port works there as well (which
39 > kept me from going completely insane and replacing the motherboard. Once
40 > it worked on LiveCD I realized I had a kernel problem.)
41 >
42 > So... does anyone know if this is a 2.6.11 issue, and AMD-64 issue, or a
43 > general hardened-sources issues?
44 >
45 > Thanks!
46 >
47 > Kevin (running unhardened 2.6.13 for now...)
48 > --
49 > gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list
54 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list