From: Barry.SCHWARTZ@×××××××××××××.org
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Printer Setup
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2006 22:37:04
1 On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 10:43:43 +0000, Duncan wrote:
2 > At least in the inkjet range, for Linux, Epson or HP are by far the best
3 > supported. Perverting Cannon's slogan, on Linux, it's more "No you
4 > Cannon(t)", tho it's better supported than the likes of Lex- (aka
5 > shit)mark. I've not taken the time to research lasers as I will before I
6 > actually buy, yet.
7
8 I haven't been following the conversation, but will butt in anyway.
9
10 Wouldn't the main criterion for lasers (including color) be the
11 PostScript support? I'm using a monochrome Kyocera which I set to
12 accept only PostScript--so it is Windows that needs the special
13 driver. Kyocera is very cheap to operate.
14
15 Actually, now that I think of it, you want to make sure there is a PPD
16 file available for the printer, preferably downloadable before you
17 decide to buy. But that's all you need to tell programs like cups how
18 to change printer settings.
22 Barry.SCHWARTZ at chemoelectric.org http://chemoelectric.org
23 Free stuff / Senpagaj varoj: http://crudfactory.com (PDF)
24 'Democracies don't war; democracies are peaceful countries.' - Bush
25 (http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2005/12/20051219-2.html)