From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Is my RAID performance bad possibly due to starting sector value?
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2013 19:27:13
1 On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 3:10 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Looking for some thoughtful ideas from those more experienced in this area.
3
4 Please do share your findings. I suspect my own RAID+LVM+EXT3/4
5 system is not optimized - especially with LVM I have no idea how
6 blocks in ext3/4 end up mapping to stripes and physical blocks. Oh,
7 and this is on 4k disks.
8
9 Honestly, this is one of the reasons I REALLY want to move to btrfs
10 when it fully supports raid5. Right now the various layers don't talk
11 to each other and that means a lot of micro-management if you don't
12 want a lot of read-write-read cycles (to say nothing of what you can
13 buy with a filesystem that can aim to overwrite entire stripes at a
14 time).
15
16 Rich