From: Barry Schwartz <chemoelectric@×××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Emerge Ignores Newer Ebuilds If Older Given In Package.Provided
Date: Thu, 27 May 2010 02:02:50
1 Frank Peters <frank.peters@×××××××.net> skribis:
2 > On Wed, 26 May 2010 18:25:52 -0500
3 > Barry Schwartz <chemoelectric@×××××××××××××.org> wrote:
6 > > An "phony" ebuild in an overlay would do what you wanted, I think.
10 > Maybe. I have not tried it.
11 >
12 > I don't want to be overly critical of Gentoo (after all, it's the best
13 > thing that's happened to my Linux computing universe in a long while), but
14 > it seems that package.provided needs some extra capability.
15 >
16 > There are some requests on bugs.gentoo.org that package.provided be
17 > extended in various ways. In my opinion, package.provided should accomplish
18 > just what the name implies. It should indicate that the Gentoo user
19 > has compiled his own version of an ebuild (for whatever reason) and
20 > if a newer ebuild exists, regardless of dependencies, this should be
21 > indicated to the user (as it is with a normally emerged ebuild).
22 >
23 > These are just my opinions. Whatever course of action the Gentoo
24 > developers take is fine with me. Gentoo has improved my Linux experience
25 > so much that it's hard to find any complaint.
26
27 Paludis has a different approach to "provided" packages, but
28 personally I don't like it. Others may.