From: Frank Peters <frank.peters@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Emerge Ignores Newer Ebuilds If Older Given In Package.Provided
Date: Thu, 27 May 2010 01:02:39
1 On Wed, 26 May 2010 18:25:52 -0500
2 Barry Schwartz <chemoelectric@×××××××××××××.org> wrote:
5 > An "phony" ebuild in an overlay would do what you wanted, I think.
9 Maybe. I have not tried it.
10
11 I don't want to be overly critical of Gentoo (after all, it's the best
12 thing that's happened to my Linux computing universe in a long while), but
13 it seems that package.provided needs some extra capability.
14
15 There are some requests on bugs.gentoo.org that package.provided be
16 extended in various ways. In my opinion, package.provided should accomplish
17 just what the name implies. It should indicate that the Gentoo user
18 has compiled his own version of an ebuild (for whatever reason) and
19 if a newer ebuild exists, regardless of dependencies, this should be
20 indicated to the user (as it is with a normally emerged ebuild).
21
22 These are just my opinions. Whatever course of action the Gentoo
23 developers take is fine with me. Gentoo has improved my Linux experience
24 so much that it's hard to find any complaint.
25
26 Frank Peters