From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Emerge Ignores Newer Ebuilds If Older Given In Package.Provided
Date: Thu, 27 May 2010 13:04:35
1 Frank Peters posted on Wed, 26 May 2010 20:35:12 -0400 as excerpted:
2
3 > In my opinion, package.provided should accomplish just what the name
4 > implies. It should indicate that the Gentoo user has compiled his own
5 > version of an ebuild (for whatever reason) and if a newer ebuild exists,
6 > regardless of dependencies, this should be indicated to the user (as it
7 > is with a normally emerged ebuild).
8
9 You're right, there's some collision between the name and assumptions for
10 package.provided, and the assumptions for ordinary dependency resolution
11 vs. those for --deep. The package.provided functionality definitely
12 assumes that users do NOT want --deep functionality in regard to it.
13
14 FWIW, I prefer the current functionality, and actually, for the few
15 packages I place in package.provided, this is what I have, with the
16 obvious implications:
17
18 sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-2.6.999
19 mail-mta/ssmtp-999
20 mail-client/mailx-999
21 x11-apps/xsm-999
22 x11-terms/xterm-999
23
24 Given the 999 version numbers, it's pretty obvious that my intent is don't
25 EVER merge these. But actually, the kernel is the only one I actually
26 /do/ provide on my own. The others I simply don't want on my system, and
27 arguably they shouldn't be dependencies of anything I have installed, at
28 all.
29
30 I avoid busybox too, with this entry in the packages file since it's a
31 profile dependency:
32
33 -*sys-apps/busybox
34
35 I used to do similar with ssh, when I only had the single stand-alone
36 system, but now I use ssh to copy updates to my netbook, from the build
37 image on my main machine, so I obviously have it installed on both. But
38 why it's part of the default profile, I don't know, and by virtue of the
39 packages file, it wasn't, here, for many years.
40
41 But I can see that if people are installing a particular version manually,
42 and putting that specific version in package.provided to tell portage
43 about it, they'd expect to be notified on --update --deep when an update
44 came along, just as they'd normally be upgraded if it were installed
45 normally (except that they'd only be notified, not auto-upgraded, with
46 package.provided, because portage couldn't auto-remove the previous
47 version like it'd do if it installed the package, so that'd have to be
48 done manually).
53 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman