From: Frank Peters <frank.peters@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Drivers For USB HDD
Date: Mon, 07 May 2012 00:02:55
On Sun, 06 May 2012 13:18:23 -0600
Stan Sander <stsander@×××××.net> wrote:

> I don't have one of those drives at the moment, but on my system I > typically have usb-common, usb-core, and usb-storage. Only thing I use > sg for is burning CD's/DVD's. You didn't mention this specifically, so > for what it's worth I access such devices as /dev/sd* just like I would > any other internal drive. >
Since my keyboard and mouse are both USB devices, I have the basic USB modules for built into the kernel, and those would include, I believe, usb-core and usb-common. For other USB devices, such as printers and mass storage, I need to load some more modules before using them. I would assume that a Western Digital USB HDD is just another mass storage device, like a thumb drive, that would call for sg and usb-storage, but before I spend more money on acquiring one I need to know exactly how to set things up. Yes, a thumb USB drive, and presumable all USB mass storage devices, are recognized as SCSI drives and accessed via /dev/sdX. Some might ask why not just utilize udev or similar to automount the device. For me, Linux means choice and control and I would rather understand my own system even if it means a little less convenience. For that reason I avoid udev. Frank Peters