From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Mobo recommendations
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 20:21:45
1 Lee Thompson posted
2 <20051026051805.13619.qmail@×××××××××××××××××××××××.com>, excerpted below,
3 on Tue, 25 Oct 2005 22:18:05 -0700:
4
5 > I'm attempting a dual core upgrade on a MSI Neo2
6 > Platinum. It requires a BIOS upgrade which just won't
7 > boot linux as far as I can tell. Anyone got a Socket
8 > 939 Mobo which will run 64 bit gentoo with a dual
9 > core?
10 >
11 > http://forum.msi.com.tw/index.php?topic=89036.0
12
13 MSI isn't all that Linux friendly. When I was shopping for a dual Opteron
14 board, I checked out the MSI site and rejected them because all the BIOS
15 upgrades and etc were in MSWormOS executable format (probably self
16 extracting zip), as was all the documentation. I mailed them asking if a
17 virus/worm had gotten to them and replaced all the downloadables with
18 malware executables or what? Where were the platform neutral standard PDF
19 docs and zipped BIOS upgrades? This was in fact before anything but beta
20 64-bit MSWormOS was available, but Linux already supported AMD64 standard,
21 so I found it a very bad omen that everything including the documentation
22 was proprietaryware MSWormOS executable format.
23
24 It's therefore not surprising to me at all that certain MSI BIOS upgrades
25 would have issues with Linux. They probably spend very little if any time
26 testing them on Linux.
27
28 Tyan, OTOH, has the expected platform neutral standard PDF documentation
29 and zip file BIOS images. As well, they have decently active Linux
30 support including Linux FAQs for most of their boards, lm_sensors
31 configurations, (sometimes proprietary) Linux drivers for RAID and other
32 devices, etc. Many of their boards are Red Hat and SuSE/Novell certified
33 and proudly carry the certification marks in the manuals.
34
35 While the BIOS ugrading instructions asked for a DOS disk, last I checked,
36 I mailed them with my satisfactory results using the Ripcord OEM version
37 of FreeDOS, and suggested that they could supply complete bootable FreeDOS
38 based BIOS upgrade floppy images, as some manufacturers already do.
39 (ASUS if I recall correctly, but that's from unconfirmed memory.)
40
41 With the Linux certifications, Tyan DOES test their BIOS images with
42 Linux, and mentions in the update description any problems they've found.
43 (The latest for my board, for instance, mentions that those using the
44 onboard SATA in BIOS-RAID configuration will need to reinstall after the
45 upgrade. Apparently, the new RAID format is incompatible with the old
46 one. It doesn't mention it but of course, those using Linux software
47 RAID, with the BIOS set to standard single-drive config SATA wouldn't have
48 issues, since it'd be the kernel handling the RAID.)
49
50 So... I'd suggest buying a brand other than MSI next time you upgrade,
51 unless they decide to get serious about Linux before then, but of course
52 that doesn't help with your current situation...
53
54 That said and after reading the forum thread you linked above, mentioning
55 that the PATA side seemed to load fine, have you tried booting to either
56 a PATA hard drive or a LiveCD, compiled with the SATA drivers as modules,
57 and loading them after successful boot? There's no mention of that in the
58 forum thread.
59
60 If that works, you could then setup using either a PATA based / partition,
62 a PATA based initrd/initramfs, using it to load the SATA drivers and
63 switch to your real root on the SATA drive.
64
65 If it doesn't work, there's a fairly good chance you could at least get
66 more troubleshooting information logged before the crash, and go from
67 there, posting results to LKML (or kernel bugzilla) and asking for help
68 there, if necessary.
69
70 Another suggestion would be to try different kernels. Try the earliest rc
71 with dual-core support. Try the latest kernel in both vanilla and
72 mainline. Try the latest kernel.org vanilla rc. If you haven't found one
73 that works by then, try early 2.6 pre-dual-core support kernels. You
74 won't have dual-core, but you might find one that works with the SATA on
75 the new BIOS, and can then try isolating the version in which it stopped
76 working and file an appropriate bug.
77
78 Also, if the chipset is supported anyway, try the old non-libata IDE based
79 kernel drivers.
84 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in
85 http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html
89 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list