From: Bob Sanders <rsanders@×××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Gentoo crashing?
Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 19:48:30
1 Peter Hoff, mused, then expounded:
2 > ----- Original Message ----
3 > From: Isidore Ducasse ducasse.isidore@×××××.com
6 > Very interesting post!
7 > Could you explain what "mobo" means?
8
9 mobo == motherboard
10
11 > And BTW (_almost_ off-topic...) I've heard that RAM sticks should be identical when plugged on the same motherboard, but it was some "good vendor advice" so I'd rather rely on some experienced user's answer.
12 > So is there an issue if two RAM sticks of different brands are plugged on the same motherboard? What if, whilst of the same brand, they don't have the same capacity? Could Peter's issue be related to this kind of problem?
15 I've seen a case, my own laptop - IBM X31, where it was impossible to re-install winXP or to compile
16 certain programs on Gentoo because the DDR DIMMs were unmatched. Either ran fine by itself, but
17 the memory controller didn't work properly with DIMMs of different capacities. And there were
18 no bit errors reported by memtest86.
19
20 Replaced both with a matched pair, and no more problems.
25 > I've also heard of some long term corrosion problems in RAM slots when the slot pins were of a different metal than the pins on the stick, but I've never actually seen it myself.
28 This is repaired by simply removing and re-installing the DIMMs. The process will break up the
29 oxidation on the connector pins and on the fingers of the DIMMs via the wiping action.
30
31 Bob
32 -
33 --