From: Frank Peters <frank.peters@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] External USB HD
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2013 03:01:46
1 On Tue, 9 Jul 2013 13:02:50 -0400
2 "Ryan Dagey" <dts@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 I can only describe my own experience which should not be considered
5 definitive.
6
7 I use Western Digital USB HDD's, 2 TB capacity, with great success
8 on my Linux system. For this, one needs usb mass storage enabled
9 in the kernel. Also, the USB drive needs to be partitioned and formatted
10 as with any other HDD. The standard Linux tools will do these tasks.
11
12 My only problem was with USB drives that were USB 3.0. A Seagte USB
13 HDD (2TB) did not function as USB 2.0 on my Linux machine even though
14 the specification says that it should. For this reason I switched to
15 the WD drives which are USB 2.0 only. I have yet to gain experience with
16 USB 3.0 drives on a capable motherboard using the Linux USB 3.0 driver.
17
18 At first, I wanted to use USB HDD as a long term storage and archival medium,
19 but I decided that Blu-Ray disks would be a better solution. At 128 Gb,
20 BR 4-layer can be very useful. Even BR single layer, at 25 Gb is suitable
21 for many kinds of data. Now my USB HDD's are used for long term but easy
22 access storage, while Blu-Ray disks are kept in the back closet for archival
23 purposes.