From: Frank Peters <frank.peters@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Boycott Systemd
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2014 03:23:25
1 On Tue, 7 Oct 2014 22:28:58 -0400
2 Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
5 > You're basically arguing that if somebody putting together an OS has a
6 > working solution for something, they should spend just as much effort
7 > maintaining 3 other solutions for that something ...
10 No. I am simply stating that some things do not belong within an OS
11 as they are better for individual users to implement.
12
13 Is file searching an integral part of an OS? For MS Windows it is.
14 Should it be for Linux? I would hope not, but maybe the Freedesktop
15 folks would not agree.
16
17 There are many ways to search files, such as regular expressions using
18 grep, sed, or perl, or utilizing special software devoted to the purpose.
19 Why then would we demand that the OS include functionality for searching
20 and indexing?
21
22 The same can be said for my other example of color management.
25 > Nothing is preventing you from starting a "Foundation for Redundant
26 > Solutions"
29 So, then, an OS which includes integral searching/indexing, CM, image
30 viewers, video players, word processors, etc., in spite of already existing
31 software devoted to those tasks, is not being redundant?
32
33 My original point may have been misunderstood but I am still aware of a
34 great divide between my conceptions and those of others.
35
36 The GNU project and FSF were born in a time when people used computers
37 and not vice versa, but that time seems to be fading fast. The motivating
38 concept is now "user transparency" where everything just works without
39 having to know why or how it works. I used to believe that GNU/Linux
40 was immune to these trends but now I have my doubts.