From: Beso <givemesugarr@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Upgrade to KDE 3.5.8 and now sound issues.
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 19:40:22
1 2008/2/13, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>:
2 >
3 > "Mark Haney" <mhaney@××××××××××××.org> posted
4 > 47B22624.7000109@××××××××××××.org, excerpted below, on Tue, 12 Feb 2008
5 > 18:05:08 -0500:
6 >
7 > > I recently upgraded to KDE 3.5.8 and now one of my favorite features,
8 > > the ability to adjust my sound volume from within KDE (via Audacious or
9 > > Amarok) isn't working. I have to adjust it directly with alsamixer.
10 > >
11 > > I've not made any major adjustments to make.conf or anything, so what am
12 > > I overlooking?
13 >
14 > Do you use arts or not? Even if you keep it disabled (as I do now), many
15 > KDE applications don't include much of their sound functionality if
16 > merged without the arts USE flag. Thus, even if you don't actually /use/
17 > arts, you likely still want the arts USE flag on, or you'll be missing a
18 > lot more than arts. (I found that out the hard way.)
19 >
20 > That's one of the good things to look forward to with KDE4. No more
21 > virtually unending hassles with arts! Unfortunately, it'll be KDE 4.1
22 > (at least) before it's the functional match of KDE 3.5.x. That's set for
23 > June IIRC, which means July or later before it goes stable. Figure
24 > second half of the year...
25 >
26 > So if you had USE=-arts for anything, remerge it with USE=arts, and see
27 > if that helps. You may have to remerge all of KDE if you didn't merge
28 > the arts package itself.
29 >
30 > If it's not that, it depends. The whole thing is rather a mess, with
31 > arts being one of the biggest festering sores of KDE 3 because it has had
32 > minimal maintenance for some time as it's a pile of patches on patches
33 > that no one has wanted to touch. There are often ways to get things
34 > working, but they differ so much by installation and individual problem
35 > that it's very difficult to troubleshoot remotely, and even locally, it
36 > often ends up being a case of trying random things until you either give
37 > up or get lucky. Thus, even if little else changed, getting rid of arts
38 > is reason enough to rejoice and eagerly await KDE4 (or install the 4.0.1
39 > Gentoo testing versions, in the tree but masked, if you don't mind some
40 > other stuff not working as smoothly as later KDE 3 has).
43 i use -arts pulseaudio. this fixes the problems and lets you use pulseaudio
44 if you want. i got pulseaudio not started at startup and the sound still
45 works fine. also be sure to have the alsa-oss modules since they're still
46 needed by a lot of apps. even if you disable oss by default there are still
47 there some dark packages that still use oss. this shouldn't be the amarok or
48 xine case (i have them working well with -arts pulseaudio without pulseaudio
49 started) but when you try to use mplayer with amarok in the tray you get an
50 error for the sound device still occupied. i suspect that i need to run
51 pulseaudio to get rid of this minor issue, but i don't care much since i
52 only use mplayer very rarely.
56 dott. ing. beso