From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Upgrade to KDE 3.5.8 and now sound issues.
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 10:15:31
1 "Mark Haney" <mhaney@××××××××××××.org> posted
2 47B22624.7000109@××××××××××××.org, excerpted below, on Tue, 12 Feb 2008
3 18:05:08 -0500:
4
5 > I recently upgraded to KDE 3.5.8 and now one of my favorite features,
6 > the ability to adjust my sound volume from within KDE (via Audacious or
7 > Amarok) isn't working. I have to adjust it directly with alsamixer.
8 >
9 > I've not made any major adjustments to make.conf or anything, so what am
10 > I overlooking?
11
12 Do you use arts or not? Even if you keep it disabled (as I do now), many
13 KDE applications don't include much of their sound functionality if
14 merged without the arts USE flag. Thus, even if you don't actually /use/
15 arts, you likely still want the arts USE flag on, or you'll be missing a
16 lot more than arts. (I found that out the hard way.)
17
18 That's one of the good things to look forward to with KDE4. No more
19 virtually unending hassles with arts! Unfortunately, it'll be KDE 4.1
20 (at least) before it's the functional match of KDE 3.5.x. That's set for
21 June IIRC, which means July or later before it goes stable. Figure
22 second half of the year...
23
24 So if you had USE=-arts for anything, remerge it with USE=arts, and see
25 if that helps. You may have to remerge all of KDE if you didn't merge
26 the arts package itself.
27
28 If it's not that, it depends. The whole thing is rather a mess, with
29 arts being one of the biggest festering sores of KDE 3 because it has had
30 minimal maintenance for some time as it's a pile of patches on patches
31 that no one has wanted to touch. There are often ways to get things
32 working, but they differ so much by installation and individual problem
33 that it's very difficult to troubleshoot remotely, and even locally, it
34 often ends up being a case of trying random things until you either give
35 up or get lucky. Thus, even if little else changed, getting rid of arts
36 is reason enough to rejoice and eagerly await KDE4 (or install the 4.0.1
37 Gentoo testing versions, in the tree but masked, if you don't mind some
38 other stuff not working as smoothly as later KDE 3 has).
43 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
46 gentoo-amd64@l.g.o mailing list