From: Benny Pedersen <me@××××.eu>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] External USB HD
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2013 00:30:00
1 Ryan Dagey skrev den 2013-07-09 19:02:
2
3 > We have an office Gentoo server that I want to configure to run
4 > backups on an external USB drive.
5 [snip]
6
7 well most problems comes from bad hardware usb bridges, drop bridges
8 that dont support 4TB sata, and if you need good sata drives use some
9 that is designed for nas disk usage, dont use desktop harddisks for
10 backups
11
12 well here i have qnap ts-419p+ where 2 of the 4 drives went mad in one
13 week, i am still in progress to move all data from raid6 to another 2
14 3TB disks in a xyxel nas 325
15
16 so if you make backup on regulary weekly on multiple disks its not on
17 concern if one disk dies with the backup
18
19 but if backup should be safe are amazon-s3 considered ?, can be done
20 with amanda, i just not have checked this yet, or regulary use
21 flexbackup
22
23 usb bridges works well if you just remember to get usb 3.0 compatibel
24 ones, and keep away from the one that only support upto 2TB harddisks
25
26 my zyxel nas, and qnap all use software raid just like gentoo so even
27 if my nas boxes dies, i can access content on the drives just with
28 gentoo, all i need is raidtab file to get it restored with gentoo
29
30 32bit vs 64bit is not relevant for mdadm :)
31
32 my qnap is arm based it even have mc