From: Frank Peters <frank.peters@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Boycott Systemd
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2014 14:56:14
1 On Mon, 22 Sep 2014 16:14:11 +0000 (UTC)
2 Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
5 > Again, bottom line, report kernel breakage of userspace, the same kernel
6 > cycle that breakage happens if at all possible, which means testing an
7 > early enough kernel rc (rc3 is good)
10 That certainly is good advice but unfortunately, even if I had the
11 desire, I do not have the wherewithal to follow kernel development
12 too closely. But the next time I see breakage with a new kernel
13 I will fire off a quick message to LKML about it.
14
15 Also, my example of the changes in USB device nodes is not the only
16 recent occurrence of /dev tree modifications. The kernel folks also
17 removed the static /dev/rtc, or real-time clock device node. In place
18 there is now /dev/rtc1, /dev/rtc2, etc., and the intention is to
19 dynamically allocate these nodes with udev. This change broke my
20 use space but it was easy to fix.
21
22 But does this represent a creep toward having the kernel depend on
23 the user-space udev (or its equivalents)? Because I don't closely
24 follow kernel development I cannot say for certain, but it sure seems
25 that way.
26
27 Let's face it. The static device tree is "old" Unix and is way
28 out of the current fashion. The "old" way is to know your hardware
29 and manually configure accordingly. The "new" way is to have the system
30 determine your hardware and do the configuration for you (based
31 on a distributed database of zillions of entries, possibilities,
32 and permutations).