From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Boycott Systemd
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2014 11:25:58
1 Frank Peters posted on Tue, 23 Sep 2014 10:55:58 -0400 as excerpted:
2
3 > Also, my example of the changes in USB device nodes is not the only
4 > recent occurrence of /dev tree modifications. The kernel folks also
5 > removed the static /dev/rtc, or real-time clock device node. In place
6 > there is now /dev/rtc1, /dev/rtc2, etc., and the intention is to
7 > dynamically allocate these nodes with udev. This change broke my use
8 > space but it was easy to fix.
9
10 I guess you'd be the one to ask about this...
11
12 Have you tried the kernel's own devtmpfs? How well does it work compared
13 to a static dev, etc?
14
15 I run devtmpfs but with udev (and actually now full systemd) on top, so I
16 don't know how it does by itself. But best I know, the idea is that it
17 dynamically handles the default kernel devices, popping them in place as
18 the corresponding hardware is detected. For general desktop systems udev
19 is assumed to be run on top and do fancy stuff like the /dev/disk/by-*
20 symlinks and specific non-default permissions (with default being root/
21 root 0660 IIRC), but for embedded and systems that have a pretty static
22 device config and thus don't want/need the fancy udev stuff, devtmpfs is
23 supposed to provide basic dynamic-device-node service.
24
25 So I'm wondering how well it works with your sort of config by itself,
26 and whether it's a reasonable basic replacement for a static device
27 tree. It seems to me that might be the expected middle-road for those
28 who don't want/need a full udev, and since it's a pure kernel and kconfig
29 solution, including an option to have the kernel automount it without
30 userspace help, that might be what they'd point you to as an answer to
31 the otherwise userspace breakage.
32
33 But I haven't the foggiest whether devtmpfs would handle those dynamic USB
34 device nodes without udev, or not. My /guess/ would be that if it
35 doesn't, making it do so might be the bug-fix they'd offer if someone
36 /did/ complain about userspace breakage in that regard.
37
38 Like I said, you'd be the one to ask, so I am. =:^)
43 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman