From: Frank Peters <frank.peters@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Boycott Systemd
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2014 16:58:36
1 On Wed, 24 Sep 2014 11:25:34 +0000 (UTC)
2 Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
5 > Have you tried the kernel's own devtmpfs? How well does it work compared
6 > to a static dev, etc?
9 No, I have not tried devtmpfs.
10
11 The reason for devtmpfs is to allow faster boots by not having udev
12 need to parse the sysfs hierarchy to discover devices. Thus devtmpfs,
13 although it can be used independently of udev, is really intended to
14 assist udev.
15
16 A static /dev tree is good enough for me at this point. I always build
17 my own machines (even laptops) and I know exactly what hardware I have
18 and what device nodes to create. For plug-in or USB hardware, I can parse
19 sysfs with my own code as easily as udev can.
20
21 This method may seem strange and even regressive and stubborn to many
22 Linux users. All I can say in response is that one has to be a little
23 bit fanatical to even use Linux, and I am probably more than just a little
24 bit fanatical.
25
26 But I certainly appreciate the suggestion and I will keep it mind
27 when eventually I am forced, kicking and screaming, to accept udev,
28 systemd, etc., etc., etc.