From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Boycott Systemd
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2014 04:12:44
1 Frank Peters posted on Wed, 24 Sep 2014 12:58:22 -0400 as excerpted:
2
3 > This method may seem strange and even regressive and stubborn to many
4 > Linux users. All I can say in response is that one has to be a little
5 > bit fanatical to even use Linux,
6
7 ... let alone Gentoo,...
8
9 > and I am probably more than just a little bit fanatical.
10
11 =:^)
12
13 While few gentooers take it to the level you have, I expect most
14 understand the concept. After all, they /are/ gentooers. =:^)
15
16 FWIW, I was doing something similar with my own suspend/hibernate script
17 for awhile. I stopped once I switched to systemd as its related
18 functionality works well enough, and does what I want and need without
19 the whole policykit, etc, circus, which I do *NOT* want or need.
20
21 There's a certain "direct drive", "close to the metal" confidence you get
22 from mastering the concepts well enough to do it yourself like that. Any
23 gentooer should appreciate the concept to some extent, but those that
24 have actually gone beyond gentoo and bare-scripted at that level I think
25 appreciate even more both the concept, and how powerful and even
26 addicting it can be. For those who have done it, there's a definite loss
27 in doing it any other way. For some people at some point, that loss is
28 worth it to avoid the additional maintenance and responsibility that
29 comes with it, while for others there is and can be no acceptable
30 replacement for that direct control.
31
32 FWIW, as I said I've accepted that loss in letting systemd handle the
33 suspend and hibernate details for me now, but OTOH, while I can
34 appreciate those who for instance leave gentoo for arch, assuming gentoo
35 is still viable at the time, I have a hard time envisioning me running
36 anything else even 20-30 years from now when chances are I'll be in a
37 retirement home. I /am/ nearing 50 after all, and 30 years from now
38 would put me at 77, at which point there is definitely a fair chance I'll
39 be in a retirement home, if I'm even around any longer... And yes, I
40 think there's a fair chance I'll still be running gentoo, even then. =:^)
41
42 IOW, I think it's fair to say that most/all gentooers are at least a bit
43 fanatical in that way, enough to appreciate and respect your position.
44 Certainly I do. =:^)
49 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman