From: Harry Holt <harryholt@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Boycott Systemd
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2014 11:34:17
1 On Thu, Sep 25, 2014 at 12:12 AM, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
2
3 > Frank Peters posted on Wed, 24 Sep 2014 12:58:22 -0400 as excerpted:
4 >
5 > > This method may seem strange and even regressive and stubborn to many
6 > > Linux users. All I can say in response is that one has to be a little
7 > > bit fanatical to even use Linux,
8 >
9 > ... let alone Gentoo,...
10 >
11 > > and I am probably more than just a little bit fanatical.
12 >
13 > =:^)
14 >
15 > While few gentooers take it to the level you have, I expect most
16 > understand the concept. After all, they /are/ gentooers. =:^)
17 >
18 > FWIW, I was doing something similar with my own suspend/hibernate script
19 > for awhile. I stopped once I switched to systemd as its related
20 > functionality works well enough, and does what I want and need without
21 > the whole policykit, etc, circus, which I do *NOT* want or need.
22 >
23 > There's a certain "direct drive", "close to the metal" confidence you get
24 > from mastering the concepts well enough to do it yourself like that. Any
25 > gentooer should appreciate the concept to some extent, but those that
26 > have actually gone beyond gentoo and bare-scripted at that level I think
27 > appreciate even more both the concept, and how powerful and even
28 > addicting it can be. For those who have done it, there's a definite loss
29 > in doing it any other way. For some people at some point, that loss is
30 > worth it to avoid the additional maintenance and responsibility that
31 > comes with it, while for others there is and can be no acceptable
32 > replacement for that direct control.
35 Oh, come now. Gentoo is for the folks who want it all simple and easy,
36 packaged pretty and tied with a bow.
37
38 Real Linux techies only use Linux from Scratch
39 http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/
40
41 ;)
46 > FWIW, as I said I've accepted that loss in letting systemd handle the
47 > suspend and hibernate details for me now, but OTOH, while I can
48 > appreciate those who for instance leave gentoo for arch, assuming gentoo
49 > is still viable at the time, I have a hard time envisioning me running
50 > anything else even 20-30 years from now when chances are I'll be in a
51 > retirement home. I /am/ nearing 50 after all, and 30 years from now
52 > would put me at 77, at which point there is definitely a fair chance I'll
53 > be in a retirement home, if I'm even around any longer... And yes, I
54 > think there's a fair chance I'll still be running gentoo, even then. =:^)
55 >
56 > IOW, I think it's fair to say that most/all gentooers are at least a bit
57 > fanatical in that way, enough to appreciate and respect your position.
58 > Certainly I do. =:^)
59 >
60 > --
61 > Duncan - List replies preferred. No HTML msgs.
62 > "Every nonfree program has a lord, a master --
63 > and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman