From: Nathan Phillip Brink <ohnobinki@××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Ext3 to ext4
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2010 22:04:22
1 On Thu, Oct 28, 2010 at 06:32:59PM +0200, Martin Herrman wrote:
2 > Will you eventually be fine when just converting an existing system,
3 > or is a reinstall preferred? (which is much more effort)
4
5 It appears that a reinstall or copying files all around would be more
6 effort :-p.
7
8 > https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ConvertFilesystemToExt4
9 >
10 > Does a raid setup require extra attention? (I'm running /dev/md1 in
11 > raid-1 for /boot and /dev/md3 in raid-0 for /) Do I have to convert
12 > /dev/md3, or the /dev/sda3 and /dev/sdb3?
13
14 If /dev/sda3 and /dev/sdb3 both constitute /dev/md3, then you should
15 run any conversion on /dev/md3. If you run conversion on /dev/sda3 or
16 /dev/sdb3 independantly of eachother and the tool actually does
17 something, it's possible that the two mirrors would become
18 inconsistent with eachother. I'm not sure, but I _think_ that if
19 /dev/sda3 and /dev/sdb3 form /dev/md3, then there's a little extra
20 md-specific metadata which would prevent tune2fs from recognizing
21 /dev/sda3 and /dev/sdb3 as ext3 partitions -- which should protect you
22 from accidentally operating directly on these partitions instead of
23 the /dev/md3 device.
26 binki
27
28 Look out for missing apostrophes!