From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Where is '@system'?
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2010 19:02:38
1 I would like emerge -epv @system to be a fairly contained set of
2 packages. (If possible like it was when I first built the system a
3 mere 5 weeks ago...) It seems out of control on my system these days
4 as it wants to emerge 242 packages. One major contributor is not using
5 a global -cups use flag in make.conf which would reduce it to 178.
6 That was added to figure out why Gnome didn't see Sups printers at
7 all. Sure, I would then have to turn on cups for certain packages but
8 that's OK with me. However I still see cairo, icedtea-bin, virtual
9 java stuff, alsa-libs, and a bunch of x11-proto files so it doesn't
10 feel like @system stuff to me
11
12 1) Where is the 'system' or '@system' specification on my machine?
13
14 2) If you folks run emerge -epv @system then how machine packages do you see?
15
16 Cheers,
17 Mark
18
19 P.S. - This actually started as a question about why the newest
20 version of portage won't emerge without changes in what versions of QT
21 the system is running and asking why portage requires QT at all, but
22 I'll get to that one later. ;-)
23
24 An interesting if mildly related post, at least in spirit...
25
26 http://blog.flameeyes.eu/2010/02/22/what-s-wrong-with-gentoo-anyway