From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Where is '@system'?
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2010 20:02:38
1 On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 12:22 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > I would like emerge -epv @system to be a fairly contained set of
3 > packages. (If possible like it was when I first built the system a
4 > mere 5 weeks ago...) It seems out of control on my system these days
5 > as it wants to emerge 242 packages. One major contributor is not using
6 > a global -cups use flag in make.conf which would reduce it to 178.
7 > That was added to figure out why Gnome didn't see Sups printers at
8 > all. Sure, I would then have to turn on cups for certain packages but
9 > that's OK with me. However I still see cairo, icedtea-bin, virtual
10 > java stuff, alsa-libs, and a bunch of x11-proto files so it doesn't
11 > feel like @system stuff to me
12 >
13 > 1) Where is the 'system' or '@system' specification on my machine?
14 >
15 > 2) If you folks run emerge -epv @system then how machine packages do you see?
16
17 I believe it all depends on the profile you're using. If you're using
18 a desktop profile maybe that's why it's calling in GUI toolkits and
19 stuff...