From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Where is '@system'?
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2010 23:02:31
1 On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 11:13 AM, Paul Hartman
2 <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 12:22 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >> I would like emerge -epv @system to be a fairly contained set of
5 >> packages. (If possible like it was when I first built the system a
6 >> mere 5 weeks ago...) It seems out of control on my system these days
7 >> as it wants to emerge 242 packages. One major contributor is not using
8 >> a global -cups use flag in make.conf which would reduce it to 178.
9 >> That was added to figure out why Gnome didn't see Sups printers at
10 >> all. Sure, I would then have to turn on cups for certain packages but
11 >> that's OK with me. However I still see cairo, icedtea-bin, virtual
12 >> java stuff, alsa-libs, and a bunch of x11-proto files so it doesn't
13 >> feel like @system stuff to me
14 >>
15 >> 1) Where is the 'system' or '@system' specification on my machine?
16 >>
17 >> 2) If you folks run emerge -epv @system then how machine packages do you see?
18 >
19 > I believe it all depends on the profile you're using. If you're using
20 > a desktop profile maybe that's why it's calling in GUI toolkits and
21 > stuff...
24 Thanks Paul. I hadn't thought of that and I think you're correct. I
25 played a bit with changing profiles and then looking at what emerge
26 -epv @system would or would not do. It's clearly related.
27
28 In the end I wonder if this is a lost cause? If the packages I run
29 really require these flags then they are all going to get built the
30 same way. I'd prefer that @system was simple and that @world showed
31 how I had changed the system to meet my needs, but I'm not sure it's
32 worth the effort at this point to get there.
33
34 Cheers,
35 Mark